Entries by

What should I do if I get pulled over for Drunk Driving (DUI) in Michigan?

Being pulled over for drunk driving in Michigan can have severe consequences. If you have been pulled over for impaired driving it is essential to call legal representation right away. Having a drunk driving charge on your record can impact your family, your job and your insurance rates. In addition, once you receive a third conviction for a DUI you could be charged with a felony.

The team at Basiga Law Firm wants to be your Drunk Driving Attorneys helping you mount the best defense in your case.

Should I move out of my house if I’m getting a divorce

When going through a divorce you may be tempted to move out of your house. However, there are some important things you need to know before moving. No matter how hard it may be to live under the same roof, it is vital you take the time to protect your assets before making a move. Our expert lawyers at Basiga Law Firm can help you make your plans to protect your assets and your family during a divorce.

How does an Absolute or Conditional Discharge affect my immigration status?

Have you received an Absolute or Conditional Discharge after committing an offence and are worried how it will impact your immigration status when entering the United States? If so, the lawyers at Basiga Law Firm can help you navigate the process from start to finish.

The types of offences with possible discharges are outlined throughout the Criminal Code of Canada, as well as other, related statutes. If you have already received an Absolute or Conditional Discharge you may wonder whether or not any record of the criminal offence will impact your immigration status.

How Do I Apply for a US Work Visa When Living in Canada

Working in the United States can provide great opportunities for you and your family. In particular, if you live near the border, you may decide to seek employment in the U.S. while living in Canada. Learning how to get a work visa can be a complicated process which varies depending on the profession you will be working in once employed and the length of time of your employment.

Can I cross into the US if I have a criminal record?

Can I cross into the US if I have a criminal record?

Visiting the United States can be a complicated process if you have a criminal record in Canada.  In this post our goal is to help you foresee any potential problems at the U.S./Canada border and to help you avoid these issues before you travel.

The types of crimes that will cause problems when entering the U.S. are convictions of a “crime involving moral turpitude”.  Some of the crimes defined under this umbrella include trafficking of controlled substances, prostitution, or money laundering.

A list of these crimes is published by the U.S. State Department online. However, even the U.S. Supreme Court has not given a clear definition to crimes involving moral turpitude.  Because of the vague definition of these offenses it can be difficult to determine whether or not you will have a problem crossing the border.

Assisted Suicide is now Legal in Canada!

Friday, February 6th, 2015, will be known as one of the most significant days in Canadian jurisprudence – the Supreme Court of Canada struck down Canada’s ban on doctor-assisted suicide.  Simply put, this is one of the most significant rulings in the history of Canada – it is a ruling that will have ramifications throughout […]