Traveling to Canada with a DUI

Traveling to Canada: how does Canada know if you have a DUI?

Are you planning a trip to Canada and heard you will not be able to enter the country if you have a DUI on your record? It is true visitors to the country will not be allowed admittance if they have been convicted of an alcohol related offense without proper advance planning. You may be thinking there is no way the border crossing officials will know about my DUI. Perhaps it took place many years ago or in another state. The truth is Canadian border agents have access to a wide range of criminal databases that allow them to check each person’s background at the border or at Canada Customs and Immigration in an airport.

How do I apply for a temporary resident permit in Canada?

If you have certain criminal convictions including a DUI on your record, you may need to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) in order to enter Canada. You need to plan well in advance of your trip in order to make sure you gain admittance into the county. In addition, a new application will need to be completed before each trip into the country. Submitting an application can be complicated, so it is helpful to have experienced legal counsel to help you throughout the process.
Charged with Drunk Driving in Michigan - Basiga Law Firm in Lansing MI

What should I do if I get pulled over for Drunk Driving (DUI) in Michigan?

Being pulled over for drunk driving in Michigan can have severe consequences. If you have been pulled over for impaired driving it is essential to call legal representation right away. Having a drunk driving charge on your record can impact your family, your job and your insurance rates. In addition, once you receive a third conviction for a DUI you could be charged with a felony. The team at Basiga Law Firm wants to be your Drunk Driving Attorneys helping you mount the best defense in your case.
Can I Travel to Canada with a DUI?

Will a DUI prevent me from visiting Canada?

Visiting Canada if you have a DUI (driving under the influence/drunk driving) conviction takes advance planning. Most U.S. citizens do not realize they will not be allowed admittance into Canada if they have been convicted of a driving and alcohol related offense.