The 4 Most Common Types of Work Visas for the United States

Common Types of Work Visas for the United States

Anyone planning to work in the United States who is a citizen of a foreign country must apply for a Work Visa or Permit before he/she is allowed to enter and work in the U.S.A.  There are many different types of visas and permits, but here are some of the more common visas:


Temporary Worker Visas

If you are entering into the United States to work for a set period of time and do not plan to stay in the U.S. working long-term then a Temporary Worker Visa may be an option for you.  Your prospective employer in the United States will need to file a petition in order for you to be granted the opportunity to apply for a work visa.  The Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker will be filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.  This petition is made by submitting the I-120 Form, along with the necessary supporting documentation.

Once the petition from your employer has been approved, you will be able to move forward with your visa application.  There are different types of categories issued for the Temporary Worker Visas.  These include visas for specialty occupations, agricultural workers, athletes and artists.  The H, L, O, P and Q visa categories have different restrictions on who is eligible to apply for each one.  Our attorneys at Basiga Law Firm can help you prepare your online visa application.

Anyone applying over the age of 14 will need to initially have an interview completed for their first temporary application.  We will help you understand the process and will help you prepare for your interview appointment.


Exchange Visitor Visa

Another type of work visa available for a citizen of a foreign country who wants to work in the United States is the Exchange Visitor Visa.  These visas are designed to provide a temporary stay in the country for anyone participating in an exchange visitor program. The categories include teachers, interns, camp counselors, students, and au pairs along with other programs.  There are often pilot programs aimed at granting admission into the United States for citizens from specific countries.

In order to apply for any of the exchange visas you must already be accepted into a visitor program through a designated organization.  Your enrollment puts in you into the Student Exchange Visitor Information System.   Once in the system you will be eligible to apply for a J-1 Visa.  Contact us today to learn more about the exchange visitor visa process.


Media Visa                

Individuals traveling into the United States as members of the media who will be temporarily working in the U.S. can apply for a media (I) visa.  These include anyone in the radio, film or print industries.  In order to be eligible for the visa, the main office for the media organization must be outside the United States.  If you are considering apply for a media (I) visa call us now.


NAFTA Professional Worker Visa

The North American Free Trade Agreement designed economic and trade connections between the United States, Mexico and Canada.  These visas allow individuals to work in the United States through prearranged activities.

Applications are only accepted from citizens of Mexico or Canada.  Along with being a citizen of one of these countries, the work being conducted must fall into one of the professions from the NAFTA agreement.  Additional requirements for applicants typically include holding a baccalaureate degree or equivalent.

Applying for a work visa can take a lot of advanced planning and research.  Do not go through the application on your own without professional legal support and advice.  Our team is ready to help you understand the entire process and to help you with all the application and supporting documentation.

Contact Basiga Law Firm in Okemos today at 517-708-7830.  We are ready to answer all your work visa questions.


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply